Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Happy 25th Anniversary, Lee's Comics!
At the risk of spoiling my image as a cool, suave, playa, I thought I'd share a little window on my past. Lee's Comics is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, and Lee Hester, its owner, has written the history of his business in three parts. (Episode I, Episode II & Episode III)

I was there, handing Lee my money from the beginning. I haven't been able to verify it, but there's a good chance that my head, and Jack's and some of the rest of yours, is in this shot:

Lee's blog entries are lengthy, but interesting if you're interested in some perspectives on Palo Alto history, or in the insights of a longtime comics retailer. He tells an interesting story about the demise of Comix & Comics. Even if you weren't a Lee's customer back then, you should still check out the photos for the Early Years. Total early '80's time warp.

I still shop at Lee's new location in Mountain View and have had some interesting experiences there. Most notably when Michael Chabon did a reading of "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay". Harrison was three, and if you've ever tried to take a three-year old to a reading at a comic book store, you'll understand why I was standing in the back of the audience with Harrison sitting on my shoulders, trying to keep him entertained and out of shelf-grabbing range. You'll also understand my horror when, first, Harrison farted, and then, announced in a not-so-soft whisper "Dad! I just farted on you!" Amazingly, the entire store did not turn around to look at us.

Later, while signing my book, Chabon complimented me on my old-school X-Men t-shirt. I'm never putting that signed copy of Kavalier & Clay on eBay.

Thanks for the memories, and Happy Anniversary, Lee!

1 comment:

Mr Crosson said...

I stayed up later than I wanted reading the history of Lee's Comics (and of comics retailing on the Peninsula). Interesting stuff.

I have very clear memories of that store and buying The Dark Knight #1 there. I also remember Lee telling me that Concrete was the best thing going.